Putting back pain behind me!
2:27 PMIn the last month I have had two surgeries on my back and I am happy to say I am finally on the road to recovery! I am hoping this last surgery will be the final pin in this awful back pain coffin. This time around the pain began at the end of my pregnancy with Lilly. At first I thought it was just sciatica that can come along with pregnancy...but as the months went on the pain got worse and worse. I had another MRI (which is an awful, awful test. if you've ever had one you know how miserable it is.) which indicated another herniated disc in the L5, S1 level. Also known as my lower back.
After physical therapy, 2 steroid injections and an early end to our New Years vacation to Colorado surgery was inevitable. I went under the knife to remove the herniation on Jan 26th. That surgery was a success but my doc was still concerned about my back. He wanted to fuse the vertebrae at the L4, L5 & S1 levels because the discs at these levels were a mess. So back under the knife I went again on Feb 5th. This surgery was more intense and I had to stay in the hospital overnight. I probably should have stayed 2 nights but I had the world's worst roommate that I just couldn't stand it 1 minute longer. (the roommate is a whole nother story)
I am very happy to report that I am now almost 2 weeks post-op and feeling great!I feel so good that at times I have to remind myself that it's only been 10 days and I am not out of the woods yet. I still need to take it easy and ease into my normal activities. The only restrictions I have is that I cannot bend, twist or lift my babies for another week or so. That is probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Thank God I have Ali or "Anne the nan" as some of you know her as. She has helped me out so much through all of this!! Thank you Ali :)
I also thank god every day for Dan who has been pretty unbelievable through all this. he has been so patient with me and has really stepped into his "mr mom" role. Cleaning the house, cooking dinner, waking up with the girls in the middle of the night. I swear he is a better housewife than me! It's been a rough 2010 so far but we are getting through it and looking forward to getting me back to myself! 
My favorite nurses!
2 comments
Stupid Marathons. Glad to hear you are feeling better! You are going to get put to work on your new house construction team in no time!
ReplyDeleteMOVE THAT BUS! MOVE THAT BUS!
ReplyDeleteSo happy you are feeling better. The same thing happened to me after my 1st, 2nd and 3rd marathons. oh wait, nevermind. shoot.